Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Where are you going? Where have you been?

I found this story really interesting. I think that the author accomplished a strong impact in such a short story, through a more peaceful start and then a dramatic shift. The story begins and it seems to be a simple story about growing up, adolescence, crushes, summer etc. When Arnold comes into the picture the story takes a turn. the youthful nature of Connie no longer seems fun and desirable, but rather dangerous and life-threatening. I think that Connie should have picked up on the eminent danger that Arnold brings sooner, just by his age and the fact that he knows where she lives, where her family is etc. I think it would have been wise to make up an excuse to go inside soon (like "let me go get my purse") and call the cops. The story was somewhat of a cliffhanger but I am guessing that Arnold raped her, then probably killed her afterwards. Considering he threatened harm to her family if she did not come, he would not be above killing Connie. Connie draws the reader in because you are rooting for her safety and for her to escape the dangerous situation. Everyone can relate because everyone was once a unknowing youth. I think the author used really great imagery to paint the setting, set up the daily life that Connie led, etc. The dialogue really helped the reader to know Arnold and Connie better. I thought this story was, overall, an interesting read.

For a short story to be great I think...
1.The characters need to be developed so that the reader can connect with them, despite the length of the story
2.The setting needs to be established, for the same reason as above
3.There needs to be a point or message that comes across concisely
4.pulls the reader in right away, there isnt that much time to develop reader interest in a short story!
5.real-life connection
6.appeals to a broad audience.
7. central conflict
8."good" and "evil" forces/ elements
9. use dialogue!
10. have a climax point

4 comments:

Dreese said...

I really like your take on the short story we read. Your thoughts of her character development are very interesting. I like your guessed ending; it's what I was thinking too. I also agree with your ways a short story can be great. The most important one was your first one, I think. It’s extremely important to connect to the character so you can put yourself inside his or her shoes.

True said...

I think that your last point is the most important.Without a climax, the story has no point. The climax is supposed to be the part of the story that garners the most reader interest. The climax in story was where she was trying to call the phone.The writer made that simple act, of making a phone call, into a life or death decision.

Grace said...

I completely agree with how the story just started out normal then had a complete turn around. I think you made a good obversation on her character development. I also like how you came out and said what you felt about the ending, mine was somewhat similar to yours.

David R said...

I agree with you about Connie realizing the danger at hand, but I think it goes back to how she always felt like she was better than everyone and this would allow her to espcape the situation just as she had probably done many times before.