Monday, December 10, 2007

Assignment 11

1. I think that theme is extremely important in what you write. I don't necessarily think that before you write you need to sit down, establish a clear theme and take it from there, but the end product should convey a message. If a story is without theme, it seems relatively pointless. This doesn't mean that the theme has to be anything poignant or ground-breaking, just some sort of idea is relayed in the writing. As a writer, I don't think that you are writing to the best of your ability if your voice does not convey a theme. How clear this theme needs to be is up for debate. Books like The Great Gatsby have relatively clear and distinct themes. This book has stood the test of time because it's theme is relatable year after year. On the other hand, Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck does not have as clear of a theme. It does however, still have ingrained messages and is a very good read.

2. I think that two important elements must exist in order for a work of literature to stand the test of time. The first, I touched upon in the first question. This is a message that is clear and connects with people. The message itself must still connect to people years later, not just relate to a specific time period. I used the example of the Great Gatsby for this. The idea that wealth does not equate happiness weighs on people's minds today, just as much as it did when the book was written. Second. I think that the book must appeal to a wide range of people. This is not only thematically, but it must also be entertaining. Topics that appeal to many are love, romance, tragedy, war, deceit, murder etc.

3.This is a tough question that I can't say I ever thought about before. The idea of writing something that impacts people carries alot of pressure. I really like to write about love, not just romantically, but with friends, family etc. and I think that my ideas on love could connect with people. I would like to take a stab at a common idea in literature, movies etc. that love has to be over the top, fairy tale seeming, and overall, unrealistic, like some romantic comedy. Finding love in people can be through simple, everyday experiances, and this is what I would want to show. A movie that is a great example of this is Garden State. The two characters fall in love under rather dreary circumstances. Zach Braff's character returns home to attend his mother's funeral and falls in love with an oddball from a strange family. This is hardly a story book romance, but it touched alot of people. I would like to do something like this with my writing.

4 comments:

David R said...

good job.

Grace said...

I agree with the fact that literature without a theme can seem pointless, and that one shouldn't need elaborate planning with their themes, but to just have some sort of message to help the reader understand. I also think the Great Gatsby is a great example of an evident theme, good job!

True said...

I would say that your thoughts on theme share the point that, essentially, theme is what the author wishes to share on the basest level, their desire to impart some subconcious thoughts that motivate them to write and think and analyze. Theme is what they want to share, but the perception of that theme is not necessarily clear to all who read their work.

Dreese said...

I for sure agree that a story needs to connect with people to appreciate the story.