Monday, January 7, 2008

Assignment 13

1. I would say that I have two leading principles in my life and they are both very important. The first central principle is to do what makes me happy. The other principle is to "do the right thing" This sounds cliche but what I mean by it is to be responsible, fulfill my duties and to take into consideration the feelings of others. I love to be relaxed and social. This makes me happy. Responsibility means to uphold my committments, work hard etc. The conflict lies when these two leading principles conflict. For example, this past weekend I didn't want to work and I wanted to go to the hockey game to make me happy. The shift was a call-in so I was tempted not to call because my work is pretty lenient. However, I forced myself to call and be responsible. Fortunately, they didn't need me and I was happy! :)

2. I remember an article that I read in Seventeen magazine a few months back. It was a heart-breaking and extremely well-written personal account written by a high school senior. The story was about how her long-term boyfriend abused her and the troubles that follwed afterwards. It was really sad because you could really feel her pain. It could happen to anyone and it is sad to think that someone that once made you feel so good and treated you so kindly could turn into a sort of monster. It happens to alot of girls my age, so it really made me more aware.

3. College is looming ahead of me. Part of me is excited and part of me is nervous. I can't wait to get to college, meet new friends, start a new part of my life etc. Then part of me is sad because I love my home, my family, and my friends. Growing up is sad in a way. In 2008, I really hope to make a successful and happy transition from the first 18 years of my life to college. This is important to me beacause college is a milestone. Part of me wants to be a kid forever, but this will be the first real test of my adulthood and it will force me to grow stronger as a person. I want to do this while still keeping close friendships and family relationships back home.

4 comments:

David R said...

Great job, Katie. You're very insightful.

Grace said...

I think a lot of us have a hard time leaving friends and family for college, but at the same time we are all excited to experience something new. I think if we look at the big picture we can make a smooth transition. Plus, we all get so many breaks that we will hardly be away from home.

True said...

Ya i'm worried about college too, because it's important. my dad keeps telling me to do better in math so i don't screw up my future. great advice.

Dreese said...

1) You read Seventeen...cute
2) I think its reall cool how you can connect with people just by words on a page. It takes a special skill to connect with people just using words.